Remodeling Student Assessments
A COLLECTIVE CALL FOR POLICY CHANGE
With support from the Assessment for Learning Project, Future Focused Education aims to influence assessment reform at the state level and to expand the use of performance assessments throughout New Mexico.
The time is ripe to remodel our student assessment system to better support teaching and learning. We believe performance assessment models, similar to the Performance Assessment of Competency Education (PACE) initiative in New Hampshire, hold promise for our state.
- The new governor plans to end use of the controversial PARCC exam
- The one-size-fits-all, single-state test accountability system has not served New Mexico’s diverse population over the last 20 years
- The federal Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) opens doors for flexibility New Mexico has not yet utilized to build a comprehensive system of assessment
- Yazzie/Martinez vs the State of New Mexico decision sets the stage for transforming support for all students, especially students with disabilities and students of color
- New Mexico is facing extreme teacher shortages and must recommit to valuing teachers as professionals
Building on our New Metrics initiative and legislation passed in 2017, Future Focused Education is convening stakeholders around New Mexico for facilitated discussion and visioning sessions on the future of student assessment in New Mexico.
- Educator who participated in learning trip to New Hampshire
"You've given us ideas, hope, and strategies for shaping positive change in New Mexico."
- Las Cruces Convening participant
"Let's rethink required assessments and what they are used for.
Use them to improve curriculum and instruction not to punish kids and systems."
"Meaningful. Coherent. Connected to student needs."
- Santa Fe Convening participant's vision for New Mexico's assessment system
- Report from Las Cruces - Dec, 2018
- Report from New Hampshire - Nov, 2018
- Report from Santa Fe - Oct, 2018
What happens at a convening? Read the conversations on our blog:
For more information or to partner with Future Focused Education on a stakeholder convening in your area, contact: Tony Monfiletto, Executive Director | email@example.com | 505-573-4024